Thursday, June 7, 2012

Turning point: Rachel O'Reilly


http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/articles/10.1038/nj7401-149a?WT.ec_id=NATUREjobs-20120607

You spent some time working alone before collaborating with other researchers. Why?
You have to be able to develop the technology and the methods yourself first, so that you can then go on to make a contribution as a collaborator. That is probably harder for younger people. You can get approached to collaborate while you are still developing ideas and methods, and then end up unable to produce what you need for the collaboration to work. I held off for a few years to actually make sure I could say, 'Yes, we can make that; yes, we can do that'.
What has been your most difficult challenge?
Having grants and papers rejected are probably the things I've found hardest. You have to be able to accept failure. I still feel that when I am talking about my research ideas I am baring part of my soul. It is a very personal thing. I have learned to realize that a rejection may be the result of not communicating my ideas effectively, and not because I am a failure. I try to use negative criticism as constructively as possible.

No comments: